emPower-USB-Host Evaluation Board
emPower-USB-Host is a cost-effective board with two USB-Host ports in a simple and small design. SEGGER’s emUsb-Host, emLoad, and embOS software can be easily downloaded and run on the board . Accessing the board with a debug probe is simple using the J-Link OB on the board.
Updating the firmware of emPower USB-Host with another sample or self-written software can easily be performed by storing the binary on a USB memory stick. This USB stick then is plugged in and the board is reset to run the update of the firmware.
- 180 MHz ARM Cortex-M4 based core
- Floating Point Unit (FPU) and Memory Protection Unit (MPU).
- 512 KB on-chip flash program memory
- 160 KB contiguous main SRAM
- USB 2.0 high-speed host/device controller with on-chip high-speed PHY.
- USB 2.0 full-speed host/device controller with on-chip PHY and dedicated DMA
- NXP LPC546 MCU (LPC54605J512) 180MHz, ARM Cortex-M4
- J-Link OB debug probe
- 1x USB host: full-speed, providing USB supply to device, A type receptacle (for directly plugging in A type devices/modules)
- 1x USB host: high-speed, providing USB supply to device, A type receptacle (for directly plugging in A type devices/modules)
- LEDs: 6x (2 status, 4 user LEDs)
- 1x USB micro B USB 2.0 receptacle for power only
- Configuration free: no shorting links or solder jumpers required
- Dimensions 32mm x 32mm
SEGGER Evaluation Software
|embOS||Core + Profiling|
|emUSB-Host||BASE + CDC , FTDI UART , HID , MSD , MTP , Printer Class , LAN, OHCI Driver (full-speed), LPC546 Driver (high-speed)|
emUSB-Host HID demo
HID Evaluation Package for Embedded Studio. This demo allows HID devices (keyboards, mice, barcode scanners) to be connected to the board and display any input viaRTT
emUSB-Host MSD demo
MSD Evaluation Package for Embedded Studio.
This demo allows MSD devices (USB sticks, USB hard drives, USB card readers) to be connected to the board. Information about the storage medium and the files it contains is displayed via RTT
emUSB-Host POS demo
20×2 POS Text Display Evaluation Package for Embedded Studio. This demo allows POS terminals to be connected to the board. Text is displayed on any connected terminal. Text can also be entered via a connected keyboard or barcode scanner.
emUSB-Host LAN demo
LAN Evaluation Package for Embedded Studio. This demo allows USB2Ethernet adapters to be used, after connecting an adapter the demo will get an IP via DHCP and the demo webserver
emUSB-Host LTE demo
LAN with Huawei LTE Stick support Evaluation Package for Embedded Studio.This demo allows a Huawei E3372-H LTE stick to be connected, after establishing a connection the the mobile network the demo will start pinging segger.com and will output the results via RTT
emUSB-Host MIDI demo
MIDI Evaluation Package for Embedded Studio. This demo allows MIDI devices to be connected, music can be played via a connected synthesizer or a synth can be controlled via a HID keyboard
The emPower-USB-Host board is pre-programmed with the emLoad bootloader. New firmware images can be programmed by placing the respective Update.fw file onto a USB memory stick and connecting it to either port. Power the emPower-USB-Host board by connecting the micro USB connector to a USB port or charger and emLoad will program the image into the board.
Each demo package contains firmware images ready to be programmed into your emPower-USB-Host board.
Two USB device connectors are available, the connector marked “FS” is using the LPC546’s full-speed USB controller (OHCI), the connector marked “HS” is using the high-speed controller of the LPC546. Devices can be connected to either connector.
When connecting multiple devices, hubs, or devices with a very high power draw it is advised to use a high-power USB port or an external USB power adapter. In case of a too larger voltage drop (brownout) the red status LED will turn on and the application will stop executing.
Exchanging the firmware image
Pre-built Firmware images can be programmed using the following easy steps:
- Copy the firmware image (Update.fw) from the PreBuilt_Firmware directory to a USB memory stick.
- Insert the USB memory stick into the emPower-USB-Host board (either connector works).
- Power-up the emPower-USB-Host board. The bootloader will now copy the firmware image to the internal flash of the emPower-USB-Host board and start the application.
Restoring the bootloader
The emLoad bootloader is pre-programmed in all emPower-USB-Host boards. If you accidentally deleted the bootloader it can be flashed into the board again using a J-Link and the emLoad bootloader