Programmable Converter for RS-232 to CAN
PCAN-RS-232 is a programmable module for the communication between RS-232 and CAN. The conversion of data traffic is done via a NXP LPC21 series microcontroller.
The behavior of the PCAN-RS-232 can be programmed freely for specific applications. The firmware is created using the included development package with GNU compiler for C and C++ and is then transferred to the module via CAN. Various programming examples facilitate the implementation of own solutions.
On delivery the PCAN-RS-232 is provided with a demo firmware that routes from CAN to RS-232 and vice versa. It allows to configure the data transfer as well as the hardware with serial control commands. The corresponding source code is included as an example in the scope of supply.
The transfer of the firmware via CAN requires a PEAK CAN interface.
- NXP LPC21 series microcontroller (16/32-bit ARM CPU)
- 32 kbyte EEPROM
- High-speed CAN channel (ISO 11898-2) with bit rates from 40 kbit/s up to 1 Mbit/s
- Complies with CAN specifications 2.0 A/B
- Data transfer between CAN and RS-232 with a maximum bit rate of 115,200 bit/s
- One digital input and one digital output (low-active)
- 2-color LED for status signaling
- Connection via a 10-pole terminal strip (Phoenix)
- Voltage supply from 8 to 30 V
- Extended operating temperature range from -40 to 85 °C (-40 to 185 °F)
- New firmware can be loaded via CAN interface
Scope of Supply
- PCAN-RS-232 in plastic casing including mating connector (Phoenix Contact MC 1,5/10-ST-3,5 – 1840447)
- Windows development package with GCC ARM Embedded, flash program, and programming examples
- Library with programming examples
- Manual in PDF format
The transfer of the firmware via CAN requires a PEAK CAN interface