CAN and CAN FD Interface for High-Speed USB 2.0
Peak System CAN FD adapter PCAN-USB-FD allows the connection of CAN FD and CAN networks to a computer via USB. A galvanic isolation of up to 500 Volts decouples the PC from the CAN bus. The simple handling and its compact plastic casing make the adapter suitable for mobile applications.
The new standard CAN FD PCAN-USB-FD (CAN with Flexible Data rate) is primarily characterized by higher bandwidth for data transfer. The maximum of 64 data bytes per CAN FD frame (instead of 8 so far) can be transmitted with bit rates up to 12 Mbit/s. CAN FD is downward-compatible to the CAN 2.0 A/B standard, thus CAN FD PCAN-USB-FD nodes can be used in existing CAN networks. However, in this case the CAN FD PCAN-USB-FD extensions are not applicable.
The monitor software PCAN-View and the programming interface PCAN-Basic for the development of applications with CAN connection are included in the scope of supply and support the new standard CAN FD adapter PCAN-USB-FD.
ISO / Non-ISO CAN FD:
Since the first implementations of CAN FD PCAN-USB-FD, the protocol has been improved and is now included in the standard ISO 11898-1. The revised CAN FD standard is not compatible with the original protocol.
PEAK-System takes this into account by supporting both protocol versions with their CAN FD PCAN-USB-FD interfaces. If required, the user can switch to the CAN FD protocol used in the environment by software („Non-ISO“ and „ISO“).
- Adapter for High-speed USB 2.0 (compatible to USB 1.1 and USB 3.0)
- High-speed CAN connection (ISO 11898-2)
- Complies with CAN specifications 2.0 A/B and FD
- CAN FD PCAN-USB-FD support for ISO and Non-ISO standards switchable
- CAN FD PCAN-USB-FD bit rates for the data field (64 bytes max.) from 25 kbit/s up to 12 Mbit/s
- CAN bit rates from 25 kbit/s up to 1 Mbit/s
- Time stamp resolution 1 ?s
- CAN bus connection via D-Sub, 9-pin (in accordance with CiA® 303-1)
- FPGA implementation of the CAN FD controller
- NXP TJA1044GT CAN transceiver
- Galvanic isolation up to 500 V
- CAN termination can be activated through a solder jumper
- Measurement of bus load including error frames and overload frames on the physical bus
- Induced error generation for incoming and outgoing CAN messages
- 5-Volt supply to the CAN connection can be connected through a solder jumper, e.g. for external bus converter
- Voltage supply via USB
- Extended operating temperature range from -40 to 85 °C (-40 to 185 °F)
Scope of Supply
- PCAN-USB-FD in plastic casing
- Device drivers for Windows 11, 10, 8.1, and Linux (32/64-bit)
- PCAN-USB-FDCAN monitor PCAN-View for Windows
- Programming interface PCAN-Basic for developing applications with CAN connection
- Programming interfaces for standardized protocols from the automotive sector
- Manual in PDF format