CAN and CAN FD Interface for M.2 (PCIe)
Peak System PCAN-M.2 allows the connection of CAN and CAN FD networks via the M.2 interface (PCIe) of modern computer boards. With its small format, the plug-in card is ideal for embedded PCs, single-board computers (SBC), and compact embedded applications, also there is a galvanic isolation between the computer and the CAN side up to 300 Volts. The card is available as a single, dual, or four-channel version.
The new CAN FD standard (CAN with Flexible Data rate) is primarily characterized by higher bandwidth for data transfer. The maximum of 64 data bytes per CAN FD frame (instead of 8 so far) can be transmitted with bit rates up to 12 Mbit/s. CAN FD is downward-compatible to the CAN 2.0 A/B standard, thus CAN FD nodes can be used in existing CAN networks. However, in this case the CAN FD extensions are not applicable.
The monitor software PCAN-View and the programming interface PCAN-Basic for the development of applications with CAN connection are also included in the scope of supply and support the new standard CAN FD.
PCAN-M.2 Single Channel
PCAN-M.2 Dual Channel
PCAN-M.2 Four Channel
ISO / Non-ISO CAN FD:
Since the first implementations of CAN FD, the protocol has been improved and is now included in the standard ISO 11898-1, therefore the revised CAN FD standard is not compatible with the original protocol.
PEAK-System takes this into account by supporting both protocol versions with their CAN FD interfaces. If required, the user can also switch to the CAN FD protocol used in the environment by software („Non-ISO“ and „ISO“).
- CAN interface for the M.2 slot (uses PCIe lane)
- 1, 2, or 4 High-speed CAN channels (ISO 11898-2)
- Form factor M.2 type: 2280/2260-B-M; Height: Single and Dual Channel 4.6 mm, Four Channel 10.2 mm; Component height of top side above form factor specification of 1.5 mm
- Complies with CAN specifications 2.0 A/B and FD
- CAN FD support for ISO and Non-ISO standards switchable
- CAN FD bit rates for the data field (64 bytes max.) from 20 kbit/s up to 12 Mbit/s
- CAN bit rates from 20 kbit/s up to 1 Mbit/s
- CAN bus connection via connection cable and D-Sub, 9-pin (in accordance with CiA 303-1)
- FPGA implementation of the CAN FD controller
- Microchip CAN transceiver MCP2558FD
- Galvanic isolation on the CAN connection up to 300 V, separate for each CAN channel
- CAN termination can be activated through a solder jumper, separately for each CAN channel
- PCIe data transfer via bus master DMA
- DMA memory access operations with 32- and 64-bit addresses
- Measurement of bus load including error frames and overload frames on the physical bus
- Induced error generation for incoming and outgoing CAN messages
- Extended operating temperature range from -40 to 85 °C (-40 to 185 °F)
Scope of Supply
- PCAN-M.2 card
- Connection cables incl. D-Sub connector optionally 20 or 40 cm. Other lengths on request
- Device drivers for Windows 11, 10, 8.1 and Linux (32/64-bit)
- CAN monitor PCAN-View for Windows
- Programming interface PCAN-Basic for developing applications with CAN connection
- Programming interfaces for standardized protocols from the automotive sector
- Manual in PDF format